The customer is king

CRM software is essential in retaining and building effective customer relationships. But it’s only a tool and like most tools – it can be only as good as its end user.
Let me explain.

What did you think the first time you ever went into a fast food restaurant and you were told to have a nice day by the “customer services representative” or some such title?

I know what I thought. I thought it was great – genuinely I did. Even though it was well over 30 years ago now - I distinctly remember thinking to myself “what a nice girl and what a nice thing to have said. She clearly loves her work and is a friendly person” etc. I was well-disposed to the outlet in other words.

Of course, I was a little naïve to say the least. The next time I went to the same famous fast food chain (they were brand new in England back then) and a spotted youth said the same thing to me in a deadpan way, the light gradually began to dawn.



And so it is with customer relationship management software; the principles are exactly the same. The software is a tool to be used well – not simply to be used. Ask any business guru about customer relationship management like successful real estate developer of note David Lichtenstein, for example, and they’ll all tell you the same thing; you have to mean it.

Saying “the customer is king” is empty; meaning it, and treating the customer as well as he or she deserves to be treated is quite another.

It comes through in things like speech, body language etc. in other words; in communication beyond our ken. It’s said that 90% of communication is non-verbal. The same goes for reading between the lines in written communication. You have to “be it” not just try to “think it”.
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment